Posted February 25, 2020
Have you ever considered traveling to Guatemala but are afraid of what you may find there? Unfortunately, this is the opinion of many people across the world. But Guatemala has so much to offer!
The country is rich with culture and natural beauty. Not only is its people warm and friendly, but you’ll be amazed at the sites. From the bustling streets of Guatemala City to the colorful splendor of Antigua to the historic views of Ancient Mayan ruins, you’ll be amazed at what you can find!
Did you know:
- There are more than 30 volcanoes in the country! But don’t worry — only three are active.
- Coffee and chocolate are Guatemala’s top exports. In fact, almost 50 percent of the population is employed in agricultural activities!
- Guatemala has a rich cultural heritage of Mayan, Carribean, and European influences. You can see this in the food, the clothes, and textiles.
- Guatemala is a leader in blue denim production.
- Have a sweet tooth? Love a great chocolate bar? You can thank Guatemala for that. The country invented the first chocolate bar.
- If you’re a turtle lover, then you’ll want to take a trip to Tortugario Montericco. It’s here that you have the opportunity to release baby turtles into the sea.
- The deepest lake (and most beautiful in our opinion!) is Lake Atitlan. It’s a great place to snap a photo of the volcanos!
- More than 21 different Mayan languages are still spoken in the country today in addition to Spanish.
But don’t take it from us! Take it from Misty, who has come to Guatemala to live and learn:
If you’re interested in learning about Guatemala and its people, why not volunteer your time? Contact Buena Onda today to learn more about our organization and how you can help the people in this gorgeous country!
Posted in Guatemala.